Thursday, July 25, 2013

East Coast Hip-Hop

Continuing on from my 1st post, hip-hop will be featured a lot on this blog. I have grown up listening to hip-hop, mainly East-coast, but appreciated the majority. I thought i'd give a brief overview of what hip-hop means to me as a listener.

This sub-genre of hip-hop always seemed the realest & grittiest. Wu-Tang // Nas // Big L // Jay-Z // KRS-one & Gang Starr to name a few brought this genre firmly to the table. The 90s were the power behind this genre, all artists brought serious records to the table. Illmatic // 36 Chambers // Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous, are albums which will go down in the history of music, and straight into my personal classics. Hot beats & rhymes mixed with the grit of living in the 5 boroughs, makes me wish I was experiencing it at that time.

A few months ago I got the chance to see DJ Premier play in Brighton, whilst he was visiting England. Gang Starr have always been idols in the industry, and particularly within this sub-genre. They epitomised the genre with slick beats from DJ Premier and soft rhymes by Guru. Preemo's production in my opinion is the best in 'real hip-hop' - just look at who he has produced for... To conclude this short post i'll link my favourite Gang Starr song.


No comments:

Post a Comment