Sunday, July 28, 2013

Grand Theft Auto :: Soundtrack

One of my favourite gaming franchises of all time is Rockstar's 'Grand Theft Auto'. I pretty much grew up playing the titles Vice City // San Andreas & GTA IV, and now i'm eagerly awaiting the 5th release, GTA V, on the 17th September. Without talking too much about the overall games in this post, the way Rockstar complete these titles is flawless. It's refreshing to see their method of releasing a game like a film, and fully concentrating on all elements correctly. As a customer I appreciate & enjoy this approach, even if it means having to wait in the unknown for a long time for information.

However, for this post i'll focus on the game's soundtrack. This is one of the many aspects I am looking forward to experiencing in the next instalment in the series, and one I really enjoy from the others. The various radio stations featured are always carried out with either witty and/or over-the-top hosts. Perfectly fitting the songs with the generation the game is portraying. The stations usually cover a range of music from hip-hop, to rock, to classical. Enough to please the majority.

I thought i'd write a post discussing the artists // radio stations on Grand Theft Auto which I listened to the most when driving round the animated worlds. 'Beat 102.7' is the radio station of choice for me when playing GTA IV. This is tailored to a hip-hop audience, with artists such as Nas, Saigon and Busta Rhymes. I have previously mentioned my love for east coast hip-hop. I found a youtube video of the full 45+ minute 'Beat 102.7' station, which is played on the game as a loop. I have linked this below... I also enjoyed listening to 'The Vibe 98.8' on GTA IV. An R&B based station, which featured classic tunes from the likes of Minnie Riperton, Ginuwine and Marvin Gaye.

Additionally, on San Andreas my favourite was 'Radio Los Santos', a west coast hip-hop station. Classic tunes from N.W.A, Snoop Dogg & Ice Cube defined the areas that San Andreas was presenting. Hood rivalries didn't get much better with "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" playing in the car, haha. Whilst on Vice City, 'Flash.FM' was my favourite, a collection of pop songs which felt just right cruising the Miami world, with the comic host Toni providing over the top remarks to complete the atmosphere.

These are just my opinions on the soundtracks, and I'll probably write a review of what I thought of GTA V and it's soundtrack when it's released. Maybe in the mean time i'll do a post on my favourite game in the franchise, and why.


No comments:

Post a Comment